Academics FAQs

Can I get transfer credit from a previous institution or from college-level courses or exams such as AP, IB or CLEP?

Yes. All requests and evaluation for transfer credits are handled on a case-by-case basis with the most successful outcomes applying to General Education courses. Due to the comprehensive approach to craft essentials, entrepreneurship and creating digital content it is rare to apply transfer credits to core curriculum in any program.

Will I have time to work while enrolled in a full-time BFA program?

It is discouraged for the first year so that you can adapt to your new college life, new friends, new geography—new everything. All of our programs are intensive and require substantial hours out of the classroom for preparation, collaborative projects and research. We recommend that you immerse yourself in your studies and keep time to experience all that Los Angeles and Hollywood have to offer outside of the campus.

Will I have time to participate in other campus activities, student productions and special events?

Yes. Our programs—and all of the exclusive opportunities we offer to our students—are designed to engage you in a world inside and outside of the classroom. Students here are content creators and entrepreneurs who are fueled by a constant flow of new experiences, inspiration and exploration.

Are the faculty available outside of classroom hours?

The faculty is your mentor group and everyone at Hussian College LA Campus is committed to “fostering extraordinary student/faculty experiences.” You also will have your own Faculty Advisor who meets with you every semester and is available at any time by appointment.

What GPA do I need to be on the Dean’s List or President’s List?

Students who take at least 12 credits in a semester and earn a GPA of 3.50 or higher (out of 4) are awarded placement on the Dean’s List at the end of each semester. Student’s who earn a GPA of 4.0 are awarded placement on the President’s List.

Can I earn a BFA with honors?

We hope that you do. Graduation with honors is granted to undergraduate students who achieve high grade point averages. Excellence is recognized at three levels: Cum Laude (3.50-3.64), Magna Cum Laude (3.65-3.79), and Summa Cum Laude (3.80-4.00).

When do I have to declare my major or concentration?

Concentrations for the BFA in Acting—which include Film & Television or Musical Theatre—must be selected when you apply, as the audition requirements are different. Programs such as the BFA in Film & Digital Content or the BFA in Art have concentrations that must be chosen by the end of your Sophomore year.

Who will be teaching my classes?

Literally, the best Los Angeles, Hollywood and the entertainment industry has to offer. Our faculty is being sourced from industry professionals with years of practical experience and master teachers with advanced degrees who are at the top of their game. Even better, they all are passionate about sharing their knowledge, inspiring students and creating, creating, creating.

What is the average class size?

12 for most classes. Students in all of our programs are placed into sections every semester for craft, production, performance and concentration courses. This allows our faculty to have substantial quality time with every student. Lecture classes, General Education courses, dance studio classes or Collaboration Labs may combine two or more sections of students.

Will I get to select my courses and schedule?

The BFA programs are fully designed to build on previous learning with targeted projects through eight semesters. This includes a very carefully selected GENERAL EDUCATION sequence that prepares students with university-level academic disciplines while creating practical applications to the visual and performing arts.

Is Hussian College accredited?

Hussian College, Los Angeles is a branch campus of Hussian College, Philadelphia and offers Bachelor’s degrees in Commercial Dance, Film + Digital Content, Contemporary Musical Theatre + Film, Acting, Entrepreneurship, and Art. Hussian College is accredited by the ACCREDITING COMMISSION OF CAREER SCHOOLS & COLLEGES and is approved to operate in the State of California by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education.

Can I participate in all activities and special events offered on campus?

Of course! We encourage it so you can take advantage of the many exclusive offerings we are able to provide our students with our movie studio partnership. You must be a student in good standing to participate in special workshops, student productions or any sponsored event.

Will I need a computer for school?

It is highly recommended. And your own portable storage drive. We have a computer lab and an editing lab, but it is an academic standard in higher education that all students have their own computer—usually a laptop. We are a Macintosh/Apple campus with original digital content being created at every turn in every program. Review our HANDBOOKS for more information.

How many units are required to earn a Bachelor's Degree?

It varies by program but can range from 120 to 127 credits for our BFA degrees.

Do you accept AP or IB credits?

We do accept IB credits if they are from our very own IB program on campus for Film & Digital Content.

What programs or services are available to students with disabilities?

In accordance with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, Hussian College LA Campus does not discriminate on the basis of disability and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations with regard to its programs, activities and facilities to students with a qualified disability. Students with disabilities should contact the Dean of Academic Affairs or the Dean’s designee for more information.

Does Hussian College LA Campus offer summer programs for high school students?

Yes, through our Summer in the Studio offerings for ages 13-17.

Do I have to be a full time student?

Yes. 12 credits is considered full-time but our curriculum for each program is a set sequence so you will take the prescribed courses for each semester with your classmates and/or section which is usually 15 or 16 credits per semester.