International Students FAQs

Is financial aid available to International Students?

Yes, talent scholarship is available to all of our students including domestic and international. All international applicants will be considered for possible Talent Scholarship by the Review Committee. Studio School does not offer need-based financial aid to international applicants. You can explore sources of financial aid online and start with EDUPASS!

Are there exceptions to the TOEFL/IELTS test requirement?

The TOEFL/IELTS requirement may be waived for applicants who have earned a four-year degree from a U.S. College or University, or for citizens of the following countries whose native language is also English: England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, or South Africa.

How do I get my student visa?

We will provide international students with I-20 forms for F-1 visas. If you have any questions about visas please contact your local U.S. Consulate.

Is there an International Student Orientation?

Of course. All international students have special breakout sessions as part of The Studio FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE required for all students during your first semester. This orientation program consists of three full days of workshops, tours, meet-n-greets, and faculty advisement and information seminars prior to your first day of classes. Our orientation program continues throughout your first semester with additional offerings and events specifically created for our diverse global community.

Are international students eligible for Studio School scholarships?

Absolutely. Institutional scholarship awards are available to all students including Talent Scholarships, Innovation Grants and more. However, International Students can’t receive need-based aid including federal and state government-based funding, subsidized loans and military programs as well as Studio School need-based grants.

I can't cash a check with my passport or visa, I'm asked for a driver's license. What should I do?

To cash a check and to apply for credit, you will need personal identification from the state of California. If you will not be applying for a California Driver’s License, you will need to obtain a California Identification Card, which looks similar to a driver’s license. To obtain the card, you must apply at the DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES (DMV). Bring with you a 676-SSAL letter stating your ineligibility for a Social Security number (this letter can be issued by any SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION office) and your passport and I-94. The Office of International Services can help you in understanding this process.

Do I need a Social Security card to open up a bank account or apply for a job?

The only reason you need a Social Security card is to apply for a job. If you have a job offer, the Office of International Services can help you obtain a Social Security number. To open a bank account, you will be asked to fill out a form attesting that you are exempt, as an International Student, from the Social Security number requirement.